Azerbaijani armed forces have foiled an intelligent plot by an Armenian group to cross the contact line between two countries.
Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said the secret attempt was strongly suppressed immediately so that the enemies were forced to retreat after coming under attack by Azerbaijani forces.
Reports say, an Armenian intelligence tried to penetrate the contact line from the South-West border to the East from Khojavend region.
This came after Armenia accused Azerbaijan of sabotaging along the frontline and inflicting serious losses on the Armenian units. Armenian Defense Ministry has threatened Baku with a retaliation operation.
Azerbaijani Defense Ministry spokesman Vagif Darghahli rejected the reports, saying the gross violation of relations between soldiers recruited from Armenia and Armenian residents of Nagorno-Karabakh was the major reason for the death of Armenian soldiers there. He called it Yerevan's disinformation and provocation.
Meanwhile, the situation on the contact line between two countries remains tense as ceasefire violations on the frontline have increased in recent days.
Azerbaijan's defense ministry said Armenians violate the ceasefire on a daily basis - some times for 50 times per day.
The Armenian armed forces opened fire at positions of the Azerbaijani armed forces in the villages of Agdam, Kokhanabi in the Tovuz region.At the same time, Azerbaijani positions came intensively under fire from villages of Ashagi Seyidahmadli, Ashagi Veyselli in the Fizuli region, Marzili, Yusifjanli, Javahirli, Bash Gervend, Shikhlar in the Agdam region, Chayli, Chilaburt in the Terter region and Kuropatkino of Khojavend, Tapgaragoyunlu in the Goranboy region. Azerbaijani forces replied by returning fires.
From January 20 to 21, Armenian armed forces violated the ceasefire for about 98 times.
The ceasefire violations come ahead of the next meeting between Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers to be attended by the Minsk group co-chairs this week in Paris.
The meeting between foreign ministers is planned for January 24.
The Armenian provocative operations are mainly viewed as an attempt to interrupt the negotiations for the peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
The ministers met previously as part of 20th OSCE Ministerial Council meeting held in Kyiv on December 5.
The heads of the OSCE Minsk Group and Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers expressed their commitment to work together for a peaceful resolution of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Following the recent tensions on the line of contact, the OSCE said it is planning to closely monitor the situation as of January 23.
In accordance with the mandate of special envoy of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office, the OSCE mission is to set up a mission to monitor troops deployed along the contact line in the north of Fuzuli-Horadiz highway of Azerbaijan`s Fuzuli region.
Azerbaijan's Defense Ministry said part of the monitoring will be carried out from the Azerbaijani side, by field assistants of OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative Evgeny Sharov and Peter Swedberg.
From the opposite side, the monitoring will be conducted by field assistants of OSCE Chairman-in-Office Personal Representative Hristo Hristov, Jiri Aberle and William Pryor.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict emerged in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. Since a lengthy war in the early 1990s that displaced over one million Azerbaijanis, Armenian armed forces have occupied over 20 percent of Azerbaijan's internationally recognized territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent regions.
The UN Security Council's four resolutions on Armenian withdrawal have not been enforced to this day.
Peace talks, mediated by Russia, France and the US and the OSCE Minsk Group are underway on the basis of a peaceful outline -called Madrid Principle -proposed by the Minsk Group co-chairs. The negotiations have been largely fruitless so far.