A resident of Azerbaijani Tovuz district's Alibayli village, 44-year-old Elman Taghiyev suffered a bullet wound as a result of a ceasefire violation by the Armenian armed forces, Azerbaijan's Interior Ministry said March 28.
Last night Armenian armed units opened fire at about 100 homes in the village of Alibayli, according to Azerbaijani regional TV channel Kepez TV.
Taghiyev was injured when he went to his yard to assist members of his family trying to find a safe place to hide.
He was taken to the Tovuz district central hospital where doctors assessed his condition as moderately severe.
Yesterday and last night the Azerbaijani territories on the frontline were subjected to heavy fire from the Armenian side. No Azerbaijani armed forces soldier was injured as a result of the ceasefire violation and the information spread about this is untrue, Azerbaijan's Defence Ministry told Trend
earlier on March 28.
The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. Armenian armed forces have occupied 20 per cent of Azerbaijan since 1992, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.
Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in 1994. The co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia, France and the U.S. are currently holding peace negotiations.
Armenia has not yet implemented the U.N. Security Council's four resolutions on the liberation of the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding regions.