TODAY.AZ / Arts & Entertainment

Halle Berry and beau Gabriel Aubry allowed to bypass airport security line, upsetting passengers

11 January 2010 [12:05] - TODAY.AZ
Canadian police said Friday that it was wrong for one of their officers to whisk Halle Berry, her model boyfriend and baby through airport security at Montreal's Trudeau airport.
A constable at the airport decided to let the couple pass a long line after a spur-of-the-moment request on Monday by Gabriel Aubry, a Quebec model who is Berry's boyfriend and father of her 22-month-old daughter, Nahla.

"The (boyfriend) of Ms. Berry asked if they could go faster through the line because they were late and they had the baby," said Insp. Jimmy Cacchione, who heads the 36-member unit that patrols the Montreal airport.

"The officer took the personal initiative to allow them to go through the line faster, but that's not something the Montreal police supports."

An embarrassed Montreal police force issued a directive to its officers Friday, urging them to avoid a repeat of the episode.

The officer involved will not be reprimanded and the police airport unit will institute stricter rules for the future, Cacchione added.

Berry's agent Toni Howard was not immediately available for comment.

Journalist Marieve Paradis said she spotted the actress and her family bypassing a lengthy security lineup while other passengers waited for hours to get to U.S. Customs.

"It shocked me that we were waiting in line, and there were other babies and other children," Paradis said from Los Angeles, where she lives.

"Monday was chaotic at the airport, people were anxious and people were nervous and everyone was scared to miss their flights." Paradis, who spotted Berry again seated in the front row of the same Los Angeles-bound flight she was on, questioned in her blog Friday why a police escort would have been necessary for the power couple, who own a home north of Montreal.

"I'm not sure people from Montreal are very happy to learn that their money from their taxes is used for escorting celebrities."

Paradis said she barely made the morning flight herself after arriving three and a half hours ahead of departure as a result of heightened security checks at airports across the globe since a foiled terror attack on Christmas Day.

/NY Daily News/

Print version

Views: 3784

Connect with us. Get latest news and updates.

Recommend news to friend

  • Your name:
  • Your e-mail:
  • Friend's name:
  • Friend's e-mail: