We already knew Grand Theft Auto V was a gaming powerhouse, but now Guinness World Records has confirmed it.
The record-keeping publication confirmed on Tuesday that the game had broken seven world records, including the record for fastest-selling video game franchise and fastest-selling entertainment franchise. Take-Two Interactive, which owns Rockstar Games, revealed the game sold $US800 million in its first day and reached the $US1 billion mark in three days.
Below is a list of the seven records now officially held by Grand Theft Auto V:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $US1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $US1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
"Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA V has proved, and how exciting that it's taken on the might of Hollywood and won," said Craig Glenday, editor in chief of Guinness World Records. "GTA totally deserves to be recognised as an icon of modern British culture, and we're thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books."